New Year means a new start. A fresh set of dates on the calendar reminds us of the goals we want to set in our health, careers, finances, etc. One of the most important areas to set New Years Resolutions in is in the area of our marriage.
One of the interesting things about relationship goals if that making the smallest changes in our interaction with our spouse can make a huge difference long-term in our happiness, well-being, health and finances.
Here are sixteen tips for a better marriage in 2016!
1) Pray! Pray for your spouse. Pray together! One recent study found couples who pray together regularly have a divorce rate of less than 1%.
2) Review the best in your marriage in 2015! What are the most important and positive things that happened in your relationship this year? Use videos or pictures if you can. Share it with your spouse!
3) Listen! When choosing between when to speak or listen, choose to listen. Good listening means pushing back your own agenda for the sake of the relationship.
4) Kiss! Spend at least 10 solid seconds kissing every day.
5) Prioritize your partner – before work, friends, sports/hobbies. Treat your spouse as if they are the best thing that ever happened to you… because it’s probably true!
6) Assume the best! It usually was not done on purpose to you. When you try to interpret your spouse’s reason for any frustrating behavior, start by assuming they did not do it on purpose. Do not assume the worst. Be curious not investigative in questions about it.
7) Flirt with your partner! Dust off those flirtation skills and use them on the one you have committed to living your life with. You never know where it will lead you!
8) No Secrets! Stay open about how you spend your time, energy and money. Don’t let anyone or anything between you.
9) Do Chores. Take on your spouse’s household chores for a day each month! It will make you more grateful and the relief of duties might make your spouse more amorous!
10) Choose Your Battles carefully. Fight Fair. Show some class. Hurtful words are frequently forgiven but hard to forget.
11) Connect daily. Do you have a scheduled time to catch up with each other every day? Talking regularly about life can help you achieve a stronger bond in your relationship!
12) Date at least twice a month! When is the last time you went on a date? Even a free or cheap event can revive relationships. Take turns planning and asking each other out. Plan a date today!
13) Move! Not your address, but your body. Get active together! Walk, job, bike, dance, hike, swim, skate, golf, garden, bird watch, people watch, volunteer, move together!
14) Change the focus of change to the person in the mirror. Want a better marriage, begin with being the best you that you can possibly be. Continue to grow, learn and improve.
15) Take Time Out. Instead of saying harsh words that you will have to take back or regret later, tell your spouse you need some time to cool down before you discuss the issue. Plan when you will get back together and discuss it.
16) Invest in your relationship. Couples who attend marriage workshops or retreats and read relationship books are more than 80% less likely to divorce.
Putting these ideas into practice in your marriage will improve your happiness, health and financial well being. Doing a little every day to strengthen your relationship has a huge impact. Make 2016 the year that changed your marriage for good!
What do you have to say?
We love to hear from readers. What do you believe the benefits of a healthy marriage are? What would you add to our list of practices to make 2016 the greatest year ever? If you tried implementing any of these, which ones worked and which ones did not?
This article was written by Roy and Devra Wooten, authors of “The Secret to a Lifetime Love”. Learn more at www.LifeTogetherForever.com © Roy and Devra Wooten 2016. All Rights Reserved. You may replicate this article as long as it is provided free to recipients and includes appropriate attribution. Written permission for other use may be obtained at [email protected].