God built us with incredible senses.
We walk into a room with a smell of baking bread and it triggers the memory of a visit to our grandparents home when we were children.
We see a piece of artwork that takes us back in time to a place with deep meaning for us.
Laying almost asleep, we hear the faintest whisper from our loving spouse, “I really want you right now, are you still awake?”
The Power of The Human Senses
- The human eye is capable of processing 36,000 pieces of information per hour.
- The human nose can differentiate between around 10,000 smells.
- Each of the human tongue’s 10,000 taste buds is made up of between 50 -100 receptors.
- The human ears with, about 12,000 sensory cells each, turn sound waves and vibrations into liquid that is transmitted through a neural system to allow us to detect the slightest change in decibel and the direction from which the sound is traveling.
- The human skin “somatosensory system” is made up of four different types of mechanorecptors (pressure, vibrations, texture), two types of thermoreceptors (temperature), over three million nocireceptors (pain), and proprioceptors (internal body sensations).
A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words
With our incredibly gifted eyes, we glance on a picture that captures a piece of history. The complex idea is conveyed with just one image. The image has significant meaning for us and captures the essence of a small novel of words.
Prehistoric humans communicated first with pictographs. We saw such beautiful works of art in the New Orleans Museum of Art recently from ancient pieces of pottery and pictures of cave drawings that pre-date letters and words.
A picture communicates. And today with social media, instagram, flikr, and other sites, we can flip through and see pictures that communicate well. Amazon and ebay use pictures that convince us to click the Buy Now button.
Marriage Photo Power
If you are like us, you reflect on your marriage photo from time to time.
- It captures a moment of pure joy, promise and love.
- It reminds us of our ideal concept of our love and marriage relationship.
- It is a constant reminder through the curve balls of life.
- It reminds us that God is a part of our marriage too.
- It is a lasting symbol of our lifelong commitment to each other.
- It captures who was there, how beautiful the flowers were arranged, how great the cake and food was, long after they are gone.
Marriage Photo Date Night
Send the kids to a baby sitter’s house. Grab your marriage photo book or whatever device you have your pictures on. Pour you and your spouses favorite drink. Take a long walk down memory lane of your wedding photos. Look through every page. Make fun of what was. Laugh about the funny incidents. Smile about relatives who have gone on.
Remind yourself and your spouse about the love you felt for each other that moment. Remember the hopes and dreams you had for your future together. Smile as you think about the commitment that those two young kids made that day. Remind yourself of how close you felt. Touch each picture and what it means to you.
Then see what happens next!
What do you have to say?
We love to hear from readers. Which of your five senses is the most powerful for you? How important are your wedding photos to you and your spouse? What do you think about our Wedding Photo Date Night recommendation? Do you know someone you need to forward this article to?
This article was written by Roy and Devra Wooten, authors of “The Secret to a Lifetime Love”. Learn more at www.LifeTogetherForever.com © Roy and Devra Wooten 2016. All Rights Reserved. You may replicate this article as long as it is provided free to recipients and includes appropriate attribution. Written permission for other use may be obtained at Secret@LifeTogetherForever.com.