Kim stopped us after a Laugh & Love Date Night event with a question. “Ya’ll are so funny… this was great. Besides going to things like this, what can I do right now to jump start my marriage getting back on the right track?”
Perhaps you are thinking the same thing. What can I do now, immediately, to make may marriage better, stronger, and closer?
Five Quick Wins
- Pray Together – Go now, grab your spouses hand, and say a brief prayer. Praise God that He put you together. Thank him for your spouse and that you have made it this far. Pray God’s blessing on your spouse and your relationship and that you would continue to grow together.
- Hold, Touch and Kiss – Stop reading this and go to your spouse right now and touch them in a way they will receive it. Rub their back, hold their hand, caress their neck, hug, embrace! Kiss your spouse. A peck on the cheek or the lips. A long deep kiss. Touch your spouse!
- Make An Appreciation List – Create a file, or write down a list of everything you can think of that you appreciate about your spouse. What have they done for you? If you have children, what have they done in their parenting responsibilities? What are the very best qualities of their heart? What characteristics do you most admire about them? Now go share what you want from the list with your spouse. Bless your spouse.
- Take Responsibility For Something – In the past several weeks, how might you have hurt your spouse in some way? What is it that you have not done that you said you would do? What have you done that you said you would not do? Where have you left your spouse having to fill in for you? Look at where you can take responsibility for something and pick one or more to say to your spouse, “Honey, I take full responsibility for my part in ____________________. I apologize.”
- Find Something To Forgive – Take out a piece of paper and write down in bullet form the incidents you are still holding a grudge toward your spouse about. As you complete your list, pick at least one and try stating to yourself: “I am done holding onto bitterness about ____________. I am only hurting myself by hanging onto this. While I may not fully trust my spouse in this area, for my own sanity and so that I can create room for inner peace and joy again in my soul, I am releasing this. I forgive my spouse, not for their sake, but for my own good.”
What do you have to say?
We love to hear from readers. Does your marriage ever need a quick jump start? If you tried any of the suggestions, what was your experience? Have you tried any of these in the past? What would you add to the quick top five? Do you know someone who you need to forward this article to?
This article was written by Roy and Devra Wooten, authors of “The Secret to a Lifetime Love”. Learn more at www.LifeTogetherForever.com © Roy and Devra Wooten 2016. All Rights Reserved. You may replicate this article as long as it is provided free to recipients and includes appropriate attribution. Written permission for other use may be obtained at Secret@LifeTogetherForever.com.
Please note: I reserve the right to delete comments that are offensive or off-topic.